RE: HYB: TB: Rebloom seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: HYB: TB: Rebloom seedling
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:30:17 EST

Francelle,

    I have stored pollen by drying it and have had good luck with that.  I store I. pumila pollen to use on later-blooming plants, and I have done the same with MDB and SDB pollen.  I take a plastic storage box with a lid (the kind you'd use for storing food) and put about 1" of silica gel on the bottom.  Then I make little folders out of paper towels (cut a strip of paper towel 1" x 2" and fold it over so it's 1" x 1").  Write the name of the iris the anther is from on the outside of the little folder.  Place the anther inside and put the little folder on the silica gel and put the cover on.  I then set the box on a place on the counter or in the cupboard, where it can't be disturbed. You can always add new folders and anthers at any time.  The pollen dries nicely and will work when you use it on a moist stigmatic lip.  You do have to be careful when using the dried anther, as the stem can be brittle.  I have successfully used pollen that has been dried for as  long as 6 weeks.

Elm

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=962469901