RE: HYB:  TB:  Pink Seedlings

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] HYB:  TB:  Pink Seedlings
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0500

"FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Four of the Mesmerizer X Pink Champagne cross have bloomed already.  The
>first that opened in February was a spectacular white.  The second
>bloomed one muddy pink flower on a stalk that had several empty spathes.
>The one in the picture is the third.  The fourth, which opened this
>morning, is a two tone blue.  I can't believe it!  How can that cross
>produce a blue?  It's a poor thing that won't stay there long.  None
>show any horns or flounces.

Decades ago, I posed just such a question in what I thought was a sarcastic
tone and got a detailed lecture about the genetics of pinks.  I'm sure you
are already aware of this, but for the benefit of any lurkers who haven't
worked with pinks themselves....

Most pinks show that color because they have the inhibitor that blocks
expression of the red-violet to blue-violet pigments.  It takes only one
dose.  So when two pinks are crossed, the inhibitor may or may not be passed
along to a given seedling.  If your two-tone blue were otherwise outstanding
-- think substance, form, bud count, growth habits, etc. -- it could be a
valuable parent in your quest for pinks.  All it would take is pairing it
with a good pink that does carry the inhibitor.

Sharon McAllister