RE: HYB:  TB:  Pink  Seedlings

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] HYB:  TB:  Pink  Seedlings
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:29:54 -0500

dawnsharon2001 <dawnsharon2001@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>Is that why a true sugar pink, leaning neither to peach nor to lilac, is so
>hard to find?
>
>Another question: most pink TB beards are described as orange or tangerine.
>What about the pink beards on some non-pink SDBs? Is there any way to
>produce a self pink with pink beard?

To answer your first question, yes -- at least in my opinion -- and I do
realize others may have more insight to offer.  The pinkish-lilacs are fairly
easy to come by.  The traditional explanation is that peach is a combination
of lycopene and the pale yellow flavenoids.  Examining arilbreds with a
magnifying glass, I've found that they often have a mixture of pink and
yellow cells.

I don't have enough experience with SDBs to tackle the "how" of your second
question, but prefer to believe that nothing is impossible.

Well.... except for the time a hybridizer friend commented that a certain
cultivar would "set pods on a fence post" and his smart-aleck grandson tried
using it on daffodils & tulips <G>.

Sharon McAllister

Sharon McAllister