Re: CULT:Squirrels #^*&#$

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT:Squirrels #^*&#$
  • From: "Francesca Thoolen" arilpums@comcast.net
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:23:02 -0800

Mike Have you tried red hot pepper powder found in the spice departments? I had trouble with squirrels digging my pumilas at one time and now at planting time and in the fall I sprinkle the red hot pepper powder on the soil and around them and the squirrels seem to remember where the scattering is after that. The pepper does not hurt the iris. Of course if I weed with my bare fingers [which I usually do not] then I have to wash my hands or they will be hot for my eyes should I rub them before washing them. Hope this will work for your squirrels. The clematis vine you sent me a piece of some time ago is doing fine. Thank you again.

Francesca