Re: Spuria Identification

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Spuria Identification
  • From: Lawrence & Helen Lacey lacey@avalon.net
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:06:17 -0600

Steve,
Since you used my photo, I will mention what I do.  The city picks up one 90 gal wheeled garbage dumpster of garden refuse each week during the growing season.  I reserve that for tall bearded foliage, seedy weeds,
a species of allium  I am trying to get rid of, and anything else that is either not dry enough or too tough to grind in my hammer mill.  I reworked my chipper shredder into a decent hammer mill, by removing the chipper disc, covering the hole, completely redid the fixed hammer unit by welding diamond bar (1/2"X3/4" tool steel) to each hammer, replaced both bearings,  bought a new custom 3/8" hole screen and replaced the balky under powered gas engine with a 6Hp 220 volt electric motor.  One hundred fifty feet of welder extension cord gets me wherever I need to go.  I took the chipper disc out because it only had one knife, was always dull and thus constantly clogged up.  I can usually grind brush up t 1"in diameter if not long and extra tough in my improved mill.

Lawrence Lacey