Where to get Neomarica

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Where to get Neomarica
  • From: petalpusherpaul@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:58:56 EST

    I purchased the original starter of this plant from a local Iris Society friend. I have seen some greenhouses with plants available....go to Google or any search engine and put in Neomarica Gracilis and you will find some sellers...... The plant propagates from the baby that is created at the end of the flower stalk.  Like a spider plant, baby plants hang away from the parent and root where the stalk lands. ' Walking Iris' is another name for this plant for that reason.  It is a native of Brazil and does not survive colder climates....it is a house plant for us.  Here is a photo of the plant just this morning. I is two years old and this is the first bloom with four bloom stalks following..... After the flower matured it began to hang down and is now hanging down to the root base level.  Below the photograph is a copy of a web page I found this morning when I was looking into this for myself....Paul Hill

Neomarica Gracilis

Also known as Apostle's Walking Iris. Adult plants have long 24" leaves, and blooms from early Spring into Summer. Plant is best suited for hanging baskets or in landscape in zone 9 or above. In landscape, plant in grassy clumps and do not mulch! Plant does best in 40-50% shade, and prefers morning sun. Plant blooms from a long 3 ft. stem that hangs below hanging basket. Blooms last only one day, but other blooms will appear in rapid succession. Give adequate water. Keep soil moist. Flowers have white petals with a small brown mottled center, and violent violet curved petals in the center. Beautiful blooms around Easter.