HYB:Diversity of flower form

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB:Diversity of flower form
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:52:51 -0800 (PST)

I've been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of
flower forms I've been seeing in my diploid bearded
iris seedling populations. It makes me wonder, has
anyone considered breeding for an unusual form?
In addition to seeing classic older TB form, cute
little rounded fall form and flaring fall (typical of
little ole MTB) form... I've also gotten:

1) spatulate falls (looks something like versicolor)
2) billowy ruffled falls
3) long narrow "hangdog" falls (I think others have
gotten these among their tetraploid seedlings and
composted them ;o)
4) rolled falls
5) pinched and tucked falls in the manner of some
exotic iris species

I've cross posted this to "Iris-Talk", in case anyone
wants to discuss the potential of these abnormal
forms. I'm thinking of the "spider" form daylilies and
all of the other unusual form (spatulate, crispate,
etc.) daylilies.

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg