RE: HYB: TB: Seedling row

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] HYB: TB: Seedling row
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:10:43 -0700

Mariposa Skies has never rebloomed for me either.  I’m not sure that it is going to bloom at all this year.  Its seedlings have done much better.  Each of the ones I’ve kept has rebloomed.  54-56 A, my faux Yaquina Blue, is the best at reblooming, spring, summer and fall.  Its sibling 54-56 B has been more a repeat bloomer here starting blooming in March and continuing until May.  I am in zone 9.  At our cabin, zone 7, it blooms May and October.  I don’t know what it will do this year.  It is just full of bloom stalks right now.  I find that rebloomers (Mesmerizer is the worst example) that nearly bloom-out and come back from spent rhizomes, never have the strength to bloom again that year.

I don’t think anyone really understands the cause of bloom-out.  It has something to do with climate, weather, and possibly fertilizer.  I find the Dykes Medal winners are the worst at it.  I lost all three of my clumps of Celebration Song in one season a few years ago.  One clump bloomed 16 stalks; then it was gone.  Its seedlings have had the same problem, so I don’t use it any more.  Beverly Sills also broke my heart with bloom-out.  I’m glad the Mesmerizer seedling I’m excited about right now seems to know when to quit.  It is blooming ten stalks, and I should still have twelve plants to line out in the fall.  Last year it bloomed in March and again in May.  I’m really not sure which it considers its primary bloom and which its rebloom.  In October I know it was rebloom.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9