Re: seed pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] seed pots
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:03:31 -0500

Linda  --  Your seedlings look good, but unless you are limited in planting
space and intend to cull some of your seedlings before planting, I can't see
why you don't just plant them outside in sufficiently wide and deep
containers (6" x 7") and, when they're a few inches tall, just plant them
directly into the ground.   You mention that you lose a lot of seedlings.
Whenever you transplant a new sprout, you do two things:

1.  You interrupt and retard its growth cycle, even if just a little.

2.  The plant suffers shock.

In my opinion, you're upping the odds of loss every time you do this, so
doing it only once should give you a lower loss rate.  --  Griff