Re: CULT: cold scorch

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: cold scorch
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:37:03 -0000

That's a good photo of the type of freeze damage I see after the
conditions you describe.  Here, though, what that fan displays is
what happens to a fan beginning bud formation.  In a clump of fans -
say 8-12 fans, I'll see 4 or so like this one.  The others will
appear like the other two fans in the photo.  On those I've
carefully dissected, I've found incipient bud formation in varying
stages.  The damage is not immediately apparent after the freeze,
but the fans stall their growth and then gradually get the somewhat
wrinkled, rough look of the one in the photo.  Sometimes those fans
were clearly fans with buds, but in others it was only obvious after
carefully cutting into the fan.  Freezes can get buds at a very
early stage.  They don't rot here.  They just gradually dry up.  The
bud part is a lot like brown tissue paper after it's killed.  It can
dry up and leave a hollow center - I have some like that now - so it
would be easy for rot to get established.  I've been surprised it
hasn't.  Freezes can damage emerging growth, but without bud
formation there they will still grow and recover, but fans like this
one can stay green way on into the summer but won't grow at all.
Sooner or later they wither and dry completely.  I wonder if you
weren't looking at a bloomout fan here since I don't see any

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links