Re: CULT: cold scorch

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: cold scorch
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:41:10 -0500

I know what you are describing, but I'm pretty sure that's not what's
going on with this one, tho I can see how it looks similar.

These are fall planted, outdoor spring germination, 2005, seedlings that
are not big enough to bloom this spring.  Most too immature to be making
increases yet, at least on this particular cross.

Not a healthy cross - FEEDBACK X STUNNING, both have problems here, most
seedlings didn't make it this far.  Traits I was after were FB's healthy
foliage and rampant increase, STUNNING's nice stalks and genes for

Mostly got Murphy's seedlings - STUNNING's wretched foliage and
increase, FEED BACK's sensitivity to late freezes.  So far....

Will try to get a photo of the type of damage you are describing - some
of the new stuff got hit in Feb after the mild Jan.  It stayed enough
above freezing in Jan to fool some into more growth than was good for
them.  Temps in the single digits in Feb.

<That's a good photo of the type of freeze damage I see after the
                   conditions you describe.  Here, though, what that fan
displays is
                   what happens to a fan beginning bud formation. ...

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links