Fw: bugs and bloom

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Fw: bugs and bloom
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:47:10 -0600

 The first iris blooms opened yesterday (three).  This is one of those
blooms
 (Betty McPherson arilbred) taken today.  It's not going to be a good year,
 think.  I usually don't have bugs attacking blooms until the latter third
of
 the season when it gets very warm.  Peak bloom for me is usually mid-April.
 Anything earlier than this was frozen out.  I don't know how this escaped,
 really, since some stalks and bloom fans a few clumps away and not as far
 along got zapped by two nights of white frost last week when the temps
 dipped in the upper 20sF.  However, as I post this the temperature in the
 shade is 92F.  The drought seems to have either delayed a lot of bloom or
 the plants were too stressed to try.  In any case, there are a lot of
plants
 with no sign of stalks forming yet.  They finally look great with healthy
 growth after the rains we finally received, but the fractious weather has
 already meted out its punishment, I'm afraid.

 Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links