  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 09:37:31 +0100

Griff, you are absolutely right!
This is complete madness!!!
More than 500 pods, and they seem to germinate at a rate of 15 a day now, 75 pots  already have sprouting tiny yellow-green points!
But i've solved the problem of room:
Since last year, some health problems appeared, both with me and Jan, so we' ve decided to keep the garden small  (it' already one acre! )  and not buy an extra field for the irises, outside the village.
So, now the aim is at downsizing, and the motto is FOCUS !
If i don't focus, my REAL problem would be TIME!
How in the world can one maintain and  properly nurture 10 000 seedlings, i wonder!
Considering it happening every year, it could be a mob of 40 000 iris crying for attention after 4 years !!!
I can't spend ALL my time weeding !
To which i must add keeping track of the parents on labels properly put, with a back-up on paper of each bed, for the case the dog takes a fancy at pulling them out....
So, even if this year,  i gave them all a chance to show their will to live... (good for statistics )  i will have to make drastic decisions when it's time to replant :
Since i'm interested in median rebloomers, only the REB X REB   and REB X REB-Carriers should be allowed, and maybe some promissing REB X Non-REB  .
And for the median part of the plan, eliminate the crosses TB X TB, since so many people are already busy with them!
All that should bring the figures down!
And this spring, slow down on speading pollen around...look at the sky from time to time, or i will turn into the hunched-back of Notre Holland!
I won't go back to France.
 i love the closeness of the Dutch, their sense of belonging, their lack of self indulgence, and their solidarity.
In Holland, each person willingly pays a special tax of 300$ per capita, only used to fix the dams, dikes, lakes, pumps, ditches.
It's a country artificially maintained above water, and it works thanks to the self dicipline of it's people.
The French are ( for the most part )individualists, chauvinistic,  totaly self indulgent and take too much everything for granted.
They (we) had it too easy i guess, in a country blessed by the gods.
Anyway, i might decide to stop with irises:
With the heavy rain we're having, the clay soil we have looks more appropiate for planting rice, and with such a warm winter, we might even manage two crops a year... do you know what colour rice blooms...?
       Loïc TASQUIER
       zone 7 - Nederland