CULT: Understanding of Parentage

  • Subject: CULT: Understanding of Parentage
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:27:03 -0700

Linda  (by the way this sort of discussion really belongs on
iris@hort.net.)

I don't think I saw an answer, so let me try:

On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Linda Smith wrote:

>       •       Are there any books that I could get that deal w all this?
> There's
> still some when I break them down I just can't seem to get the number
> of ( ) to fit like they are suppose to.
>

> SOAP OPERA
> (Joseph Ghio, R. 1981), Sdlg. 76-240E. TB, 32" (81 cm), E-M-L & RE in
> mild climates
> "S. green tan bamboo blend; F. blue violet, edged color of S.; tan
> beard. 73-17G: (Blocher 223, Louise Watts sib x 71-147P:
> ((((Commentary x Claudia Rene) x Claudia Rene) x Ponderosa) x
> (Ponderosa x New Moon))) X Actress. Bay View Gardens 1982 "
>
> SKY KING RETURNS
> (Larry Lauer, R. 2003), Sdlg. 657-1R. TB, 39" (99 cm), L & RE
> "S. mimosa yellow (RHS 8C), rim darker; style arms canary yellow (9C);
> F. mineral violet (85B), rim yellow ochre (165D); beards yellow to
> orange in throat, violet at end; ruffled; pronounced sweet fragrance.
> 91-143-1R: (87-48-3: (Edith Wolford x Breakers) x Mother Earth) X
> 91-204-22: (86-12, unknown, x 88-79: (Adventuress x Summer Magic)).
> Lauer 2003 "
> So like in Sky King the seedling #91-143-1R is the results of a
> seedling produced by Edith Wolford x Breakers which was then crossed w
> Mother Earth that produced the #91-143-1R

yes

> In Soap Opera: Commentary and Claudia Rene produced a seedling that
> was crossed again w Claudia Rene which was crossed again w Ponderosa,
> then crossed w a seedling produced from (Ponderosa x New Moon)
> (((Commentary x Claudia Rene) x Claudia Rene) x Ponderosa) x
> (Ponderosa x New Moon)))
> And the 2 )) in addition at end of New Moon will correspond to the
> blue and green (( in front of commentary. But I can't figure out what
> the 4th ( in Commentary closes out with??)

I think it has to do with the fact that there are two seedling numbers
being defined there.

73-17G: (        Blocher 223, Louise Watts sib x 71-147P: (
(((Commentary x Claudia Rene) x Claudia Rene) x Ponderosa) x (Ponderosa
x New Moon)           )        )      X Actress

The two outside ")"s to the right of New Moon are the closings for the
opening parens for the second and first seedling numbers. I have
separated them out with spaces.

That leaves the the 3 opening parens to the left of Commentary to
rationalize.

that breaks down like this:

(   (   (Com x CR)   x  CR)  x  Ponderosa)      and that balances  and
that is crossed with (Ponderosa  x New Moon)

The next closing parens after that is the closing parens for the
definition of seedling # 71-147P  which in turn was crossed with
Blocher 223, Louise Watts sib  and the very last closing parens closes
the definition of 73-17G  which was crossed with Actress

I hope that helps.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Member AIS Board of Directors