Re: Black List

This listing of irises that were on Wayman's Black List and White List is available to HIPS members in the Reading Room on the HIPS website.

John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:
On Mar 14, 2007, at 7:39 AM, Linda Smith wrote (on iris-photos):

>  While I'm trying to figure out what zone I'm in.
> ? I have another question:: What is the black list back in the 20's
> & 30's and what out of that black list actually turned into something
> useful in today's reblooming industry.
> ? Is there a list? Where can I find it?
> Linda

There were several lists.

On January 29, 1925 the AIS Board of Directors voted: "...the following
varieties of Tall Bearded Irises are considered unworthy of further
propagation. All members should refrain from assisting in their
dissemination whether by purchase, by sale, by exchange, or by gift.
Plants of these varieties are on record at the New York Test Garden.
Upon the request of give members, the judgment of a variety may be
reconsidered, and upon action of the directors, other varieties will be
added to this list." That list was published in the AIS Bulletin in

A list was also published in THE IRIS by John C Wister 1927 and in a
pamphlet titled "American Iris Society, Discard List 1931, Bearded
Irises" 1931. In the explanatory notes that pamphlet says: "The
varieties of Bearded Irises marked with the sign, $ in the Alphabetical
Iris Check List 1929 as extinct or superseded, together with numerous
additions, are named in this list."

All three of these list differ in that later lists generally had more
irises added.

More recently the list from the 1925 AIS Bulletin was published in Vol
4, Issue 2, Fall '91 "ROOTS Journal or the Historic Iris Preservation
Society". I quote in part: "Frequent reference is made to THE BLACK
LIST! (sic) In actual fact, there are two black lists in circulation.
The best known and most frequently seen is the one published by John
Wister in his book The Iris, 1930 pages 112-117. The official Black
List, sanctioned by AIS appeared in the AIS Bulletin in 1925.
Reproduced here are both Black and White lists. Of note are the
accuracy, on the whole. of our iris ancestors' judgements (sic). Or.
are the making of such lists self-fulfilling prophecy?" (Thanks to Rick
Tasco and Roger Duncan for a copy of this ROOTS issue).

My copy of John C. Wister's book is dated 1927 not 1930, and I do not
know if there were two publication dates. In it Wister says: "Iris
literature and Iris catalogs are full of varieties many of them once
important but which have now been superseded by newer kinds. The
American Iris Society in 1925 adopted an official Black List of
varieties which it felt were no longer worthy of places in our gardens.
Opinions, of course, differ on these lists and my own while based
primarily on the official list of the society has many changes and
additions of my own. Gardeners who find some of their old favorites in
this list will hesitate to discard them I have no quarrel with those
who for some special reason continue to grow these varieties, but n
general our gardeners will benefit by dropping them in favor of better
varieties that cost no more."

John | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA