Worried about my potted-up Bearded Iris.....

  • Subject: Worried about my potted-up Bearded Iris.....
  • From: Iris In The Garden <irisinthegarden@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

I had DH bury my potted Bearded Iris back in mid-November and he covered them up with 4" to 6" of quite sandy soil.  I was worried about them all winter so I checked on them yesterday to make sure they hadn't rotted since we had such a mild winter.  To my relief, the 6 or 7 pots I dug out are looking really good!  All the fans are still fully green and very pliable and the rhizomes are perfectly intact with absolutely no sign of rot!!
We are in Zone 4b (eastern Ontario) and although we could get night low's of -5C and daytime high's of +10C (Low 23F/High 50F), for the next couple of weeks, do you think it is too early to dig them all up and expose them to spring elements or should I wait a bit longer until it warms up more during the night and/or day???
Thanks in advance!

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist