AB: OGB- sdlng

  • Subject: AB: OGB- sdlng
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:45:16 -0500

A cross of NEW MOON X LUELLA DEE resulting in one of what I call the 'iris
stepchildren'. Too much TB influence to satisify TB lovers and not enough
aril influence showing to satisfy the arilbred connoissers. This one is
typical in that it really doesn't resemble either parent. It has obvious
faults. As it expands, the standards open and the falls get more linear.
The falls are not really 'dog ears' though. This has very strong substance.
I think the tucked falls derived from its aril ancestry cause the falls to
attempt to tuck too high on the fall, causing them to go more or less
parallel to the stalk. Some good things here along with the bad. I like
the substance, the bleed of yellow going up the falls, the oversized styles
(from the arils again) and the strongly arched standards (from the aril
ancestry). It has no haft markings at all on the shoulders. The shadow
markings around the beard are what should have been the signal pattern
contributed from the pollen parent. TB height with AB bud count. The best
of this type has an interesting look and makes up for the shortage of buds
by producing lots of bloom stalks. Most are just pleasantly pedestrian like
this one. Some are truly awful. I don't toss these quickly, no matter how
plain. They are supposed to be a step along the way to something else. Due
to the unbalanced chromosome sets, their fertility is guaranteed to be low
or non-existent. It takes time, patience and persistence to determine if
they can produce seed, much less a seed that is viable. Of all mine I've
grown, I've only obtained a plant twice. The first didn't survive and I've
just had the second plant this spring. You'd all be appalled at the nice TB
and balanced amphidiploid I've tossed while allowing this sort to stay.

I'm seeing some color on buds from some of the experimental crosses I make.
Anticipation, anticipation!

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA