RE: AB: too bad - birds

  • Subject: RE: AB: too bad - birds
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:57:05 -0700 (PDT)

One of our members here in the San Fernando Valley in So. Calif. has been complaining for severa years about Mocking Birds eating his iris flowers and everyone in our club has been amazed by the idea.  None of us has every heard of it happening.  So I was very interested to see that it seems to be across the iris country.  And not just Mocking Birds, I guess.
I have large numbers of Mockers and have never had a problem.  And I can't think of any other flowers which are eaten or torns by birds.  It is a strange phenomen.
If anyone comes up with a solution which seems to work, I will pass it on to our SFVIS member with the problem.
Jan in Chatsworth

FRANCELLE EDWARDS <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Donald, I looked at your pictures before I read your story, and I thought you had iris loving birds like I have.  My seedling 12-18 G was about the prettiest pink iris I had ever seen this morning when I took the picture I?m posting in a few minutes.  By night it had fed a Mocking bird.  Nothing was left.  I?m sorry about the hail.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9