RE: Re: HYB: Another seedling

  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: Another seedling
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:48:08 -0700

This is the second year bloom for this pink iris.  My regular irises are just starting now, two weeks behind the seedlings, and what I’ve seen so far is terrible.  They have about 18 inch stalks with four to five buds.  I always have trouble getting good bud count.  Romantic Evening has never had more than four or five buds per stalk in my garden, and I now have beautiful seedlings from it doing the same.  I hear from some people that they don’t have trouble getting adequate bud count on their seedlings.  I wonder if it is something in my ground or my climate.  This year is worse than last.  Seedlings that had up to eleven buds last year now only have seven.  Those that had seven now have fewer.  The clumps certainly look vigorous.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9