Re: Legend of Camelot, luminata?

  • Subject: Re: Legend of Camelot, luminata?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:48:01 -0500

Thanks Sharon. I missed that concept completely. I can't tell from the
photo, but it looks like those white veins in the lower part of the fall
may extend between the dark veins near the beard. Is that what you mean
by blended effect?

Somehow, I got the idea that 'fancy' or "luminata-plicata" had all white
veins in the throat and plic markings around the edge of the bloom. And
I also thought that luminata <is> a type of plicata allele. But I think
I've got dosages and types of alleles muddied together.

Margie, this is a great educational flower - thanks!

<I sounds like you're thinking of a pure luminata, with no plicata
genes. The two alleles can coexist, producing a blended effect in the
flower. The white veining is indicative of the luminata allele(s) and
the purple veins of the plicata allele(s). This is a striking example
of what we used to call a "fancy plicata", but to me "luminata-plicata"
is a more descriptive term.

Sharon McAllister>
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8