Re: Iris related AD: Kitchen Tissue Culture Kit

  • Subject: Re: Iris related AD: Kitchen Tissue Culture Kit
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:42:37 EDT

In a message dated 3/18/2008 10:41:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time, IrisLady@comcast.net writes:
I'm just wondering - - How successful are these tissue cultures?  If they were that successful wouldn't Cooley's (after all these years) have their "red" iris by now?
Tissue culture is just a means of propagation, not a way to create new cultivars.  For example, African Violets can be increased by removing a mature, strong leave and potting it.  The plantlets it produces will be the same as the mother plant.
Embryo culture is a way to get plants from seeds that have viable embryos but are difficult to germinate or have insufficient endosperm.  John Holden did this quite successfully with arils and some arilbreds from wide crosses.  Others have used the technique, but I can't think of anyone else who wrote about the procedures so extensively.
I had enough success with enhanced germination procedures that I did not step up to embryo culture. If I were still hybridizing, I'd certainly be tempted by the wider availability of equipment today.
Sharon McAllister