Re: AB: sdlg

  • Subject: Re: AB: sdlg
  • From: "Francesca Thoolen" <arilpums@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:57:09 -0700

Good morning Griff, Probably one reason you had no luck with Jewel of Omar is that you started with the more difficult ones to work with in arilbreds. Most OB- are from unusual crosses that normally lead to unbalanced chromosomes therefore unable to mate properly to create balanced pairs of genes that are necessary for fertile plants. Having said that, there are exceptions, very few, and in many cases can be the result of genes not dividing or what we commonly call "doubling" of chromosomes. Although Jewel of Omar was reportedly used as a seed parent this would have been an exception to the rule. The luck of the draw so to speak. Normally many same crosses would have to be made before this might happen again. The fact that it was able to make seed is not unusual but did it create a balanced plant being able to go on for another generation. If you would try your hand with OGBs that are reportedly both [SP & PP] (was used as seed parent and pollen parent) you would have better success with achieving another generation that would also be possibly fertile both ways. Don't give up, try again. In the ASI Illustrated checklist you not only can see what many parent plants look like but in many cases we have added new information as to when the plant was successfully used as a seed parent and/or pollen parent. Wishing you a good iris season ahead,

Francesca