Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing" photos

  • Subject: Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing" photos
  • From: "Terry Johnson" <tjatwork@orcon.net.nz>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:39:06 -0000

Sorry I'm late
I have just visited the websites mentioned and members should not be
blinded by the fact that the disputed Iris Photos that have been taken
off the site is the end of the matter. It is pure sophistry meant to
trick children and mad dogs,but which does not hold water on
inspection.The web site Millette Photomedia clearly still states "We
have around 125,000 different pictures and not all are currently on this
site. If you are unable to find feel free to contact us email. Please
feel free to send a want list of images needed".
Clearly Mr Milette is in breach of International Copyright.
The most important thing is that, as with hard copy photos, the
copyright remains with the author of the message. The sender owns the
copyright on the photo; the recipient owns the physical space the
message takes up on his or her hard drive, or the toner and paper if a
hard copy of the photo is made. The recipient does not have the right to
copy, publish, or otherwise distribute the contents without permission.
When offered for sale Unauthorized copying or storage of Digital images
that are offered for sale would constitute copyright infringement.
I would suggest caution to anyone who offers an exclusive photo to the
Millette Photomedia site or has any dealings with this person
whatsoever.
Another point Why are the original requests for photo signed Reggie D.
Millette,President,Quebec Hostas and Hemerocallis Society, was this an
official request???

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, irischapman@... wrote:

> [...]
> for sale list, there are hundreds of his photos of iris. The question
> then is , why? Why not post web sized photos of iris from ones he
> took, why just "borowed" photos from other people.
>
> Also , he has hundreds of photos of iris "borowed " from iris-photos,
> but he never posted a photo in return on iris-photos. He has them,
> could have shared with others, given back, just not taking as he has.
> So he is taking generously, but not returning. So basically using the
> list for his own purposes, but not giving anything back. Not what I
> would consider good group courtesy.
>
> Even on giving permission to use photos, in a general sense, it is not
> the same thing as giving permission to building a photo site based
> entirely (almost 100%) of others photos. For this particular type of
> usage, it should be considered common courtesy to tell people what
> their photos are being used for, and direct them to site to see how
> they are be
> ing used, particularly when you are using a large number of
> someone's pictures.
>
> Margie, my experience with giving him pictures is quite different. I
> generously sent a large number of high end photos and gave him
> permission to use these. He would keep comming back to me and asking
> for more. I complied for awhile, but eventually stopped and asked
> "What's in it for me" I don't know if he used photos I sent, but he
> didn't send me a copy of the book and wasn't very appreciative of the
> work. I say work. I'm on dial up, and at times it is very unreliable.
> So raw camera photos are too big to send, so they have to be preped,
> inculding resizing. After preping , they are still large, and it takes
> some time to send over a dial up connection. They have to be sent one
> at a time, ans sometimes resent, as they don't go through. So about 30
> minutes or better of my time per photo. These requests were comming
> during summer when I was working in my garden. Here in my northern
> garden I loose a lot of plants, and the ones that survive, just don't
> put out increases as well. So I need to work hard and long to get
> garden to pay for itself and equipment. So my time is valuable, and
> there seemed to be no end of his requests, or respect of the time he
> was asking of me. Actually it was more of a demand, as he was upset
> that I stopped sending photos.
>
> So, he was angry at m
> e for not continuing to send photos on demand. And
> then you may have seen his comment about my not being co-operative
with
> him. That was my thanks.
>
> Chuck Chapman
>
> Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing"Â photos
>

> Posted by: "Margie Valenzuela"
> IrisLady@...
>
> iris85737
>

> Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 pm (PST)
>

> John, allow me to address 2 issues here:
>

> 1.) I met Mr. Millette on tour at the 2006 AIS Convention in Oregon.
He