Re: AB: 1st bloom

  • Subject: Re: AB: 1st bloom
  • From: "eroctuse2" <EROCTUSE2@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:20:19 -0000

Congratulations on your first bloom Donald. I hope there are many, many more to bloom this season!

I can't imagine I would call it a trick, but it seems like the best photos come from overcast days or bright shade. I'll send a photo, next, from last season that shows quite a bit of texture and detail on an otherwise jet black iris ('Blackalicious') in the shade.

In direct sun, the contrast is so high and the light is so harsh that the camera tends to overcompensate by making the darks too dark (in order to keep from overexposing the image). In the less harsh light the details have a much better chance of showing through.

If you were insane, you might even consider moving into the HDR (high dynamic range) realms, which involves merging several exposures of the same image into one with everything properly exposed. I've only dipped my toes into that process myself.

All that said, the image looked perfectly clear to me and I'm envious.

Brock