Re: Re: Re:proposed AIS Awards Ballot

  • Subject: Re: Re: Re:proposed AIS Awards Ballot
  • From: <jacksonb@mts.net>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:29:10 -0500

Hi Bob,

I started thinking about this when Bill Shear and I talked about it via e-mail a long time ago (mid-90s). And, I anticipate this year I will have three TB seedlings blooming for the first time (hopefully in time for the CWIS show in mid-June). I remember clear as day when Bill told me that if we ever wanted modern TBs to thrive in Manitoba we were going to have to create them ourselves! I'm doing my part and I know at least a couple other Manitobans who are doing the same thing.

In a world of instant gratification however, it will be 4 years from seed to bloom. Patience is a virtue but I can tell you, mine has been wearing mighty thin. I had hoped they would bloom last year but it was not to be. I have no idea what they will look like but I have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that there will be something good enough to work with further.

I did cross Starship Enterprise with everything I had blooming at the time but did not get any seed. Next tried Xanthippe's Halo on several but no seed again. I'll keep trying!

BJ in SW MB, Canadian Prairies, Zone 2b CDA/3 USDA