Re: HYB: Indoors - Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Indoors - Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Betty,
I hope you're all healed up now and ready for Spring!!!

And thanks for the comments. I'm pretty anxious to get these guys in the ground and get them ready for some hybridizing (next year I hope).

The pod parent is an MTB-sized, fairly-late-blooming (early June) species that is pretty familiar to a lot of people. If you want to see a picture of the Beardsley clone of variegata, I don't have any good ones but Elm Jensen posted a nice one on June 7, 2008. Hopefully this link will take you there:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/jun08/msg00096.html

The papa is Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata which <sadly> I'm pretty sure didn't make it through the winter. I posted a picture of it March 21, 2005, right after I'd received it in the mail. It's just a tiny little thing and is the earliest iris I've ever had bloom - mid April here.

Hopefully this link will show you suaveolens var. rubromarginata:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/mar05/msg00214.html

So coming from two parent species with such extreme differences in bloom time, height and flower form... these hybrids should carry a very diverse mix of genetics and should contribute a lot of variability to a hybridizing program. That's pretty much what I've been seeing from CLOWN PANTS which has almost the same ancestry.
Thanks again, Tom
Betty W. wrote:

Delightful!

Great potential.