Re: Re: HYB my 2010 planned registrations
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB my 2010 planned registrations
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:30:21 +0100

Hello Tom,

you are right, it might be a tetra : i managed to pollinate it in 2008 with 'Miss Nellie' (10 seeds) and with 'Impulsive Imp' (17 seeds), but i didn't get any germinations. (Still when i see the mixes Fisher is making and manages crosses and germinations, it is an example to follow!)
It didn't bloom last year so i couldn't pollinate it, and i realized it didn't like the place where it was so i moved it last week so i doubt it will bloom this year neither, but it is not dead so there is still hope now it is in better soil for a future intro! But we'll have to be very patient!

Thanks for telling me the ones that caught your eye!
Denise Stewart (from Snowpeak Irises, she also deals with Bianco's irises) will receive them this summer, i don't know how long it will take her to build enough stock before she puts them on her catalogue, but people should eventually be able to get hold of them directly from an American breeder...!

I am so happy I have changed my mind, instead of 10 registrations i've decided to give many more a chance . They are so strong, i would be such a waste to put them on the compost heap. They are the opposite to all the ones from California or Australia that catch a cold and die after one week of rain! I think they will thrive in the North of Europe and North of the USA! They might even make it in North China!

Even if one iris doesn't become a superstar, it might make one person happy, so i will give a chance to much more than i thought before.
Only time will tell the good ones from the bad ones, and they will all have had a chance to please some people.
Since i don't have to run a business, my only aim is to have them find a friend!

And also, with 5 breeders who will deal with them, i must have enough ! They will also make their selection, and i cannot tell before hand which ones will strive in a particular place more than others.

I've had a ball naming them all, Jan has helped, it was fun.
I am particularly happy with the cute 'Baby Barn Owl'.
I am also very happy with  'Lekker Dikke Rooie' that means 'Appetizing Plump Red-haired , such a tasty name, (even if it is not tasteful at all!)

Another quite provocative is 'Bont En Blauw' means 'assault and battery' (literally 'colorful and blue' , the coulours you get in bruises when you've been beaten up!)

'Calamus' is another homage to Walt Whitman, Calamus is also a green grass and this SDB has a green hue to it.

I have two other "green" ones, 'Finbos' and 'Caonach' that are two brothers from B031 = Hoodlum x Gray Poupon ...

There were so many to name, it is so rewarding!

17 come from the 175 crosses from 2005 , 45 from the 365 crosses from 2006, that's around a 10 % result !!!

So, if i count well, since in 2007 i made 687 crosses, i might be able to get 70 good ones!
  Even if in 2008 i made 790, the germination was so bad, i am sure i won't have 80 registrations there!
this year, there are 1200 pots waiting, therefore i should be registrating 120 irises in 4 years time if nothing bad happens......! Madness!

My main problem will be the room in the garden, but since i am not doing the commercial bit (and this would take some room too!), i can concentrate only on the breeding! What a life!

Have fun with 'Clown Pants', ( i will !) and its babies,
I will tell you the minute i see the first sprout in one of it's offspring's seeds!
(there are now 45 pots that are starting germinating, i check twice a day, have to pinch myself hard to prevent me from checking every hour.....)

It is a happy man that is telling you...
take care,

Loïc