Re: HYB: REB: Genetics/variability in growth habit
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: REB: Genetics/variability in growth habit
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:03:19 -0500

I thought some of you might find this interesting. Clockwise, lower left
1) (IMMORTALITY x CSong) X Twilight Fancies
2) IMM X Love to Flirt
3) IMM X (IMM x Amity Estate)
4) IMM X Red Rock Canyon

All of these tried to bloom late last fall when we went from summer
drought straight to winter with no fall. They had all been hit by light
frost before I dug & potted them, brought them indoors until they
finished blooming. They have been outdoors the rest of the winter
located on the southwest side of the house, just as they are in this photo.

#1 was too frost damaged and the stalk aborted. That fan has partially
rotted, but isn't completely gone. This one has the least freeze
sensitive foliage! darn it. Recent frosts ~30oF didn't seem to have
any effect.

#2 bloomed normally, but foliage has been freeze sensitive & the fan
with the stalk rotted over the winter. As you can see, the fans on
increase look really awful and I will be surprised if this manages to
put up another stalk! This is the one that when it bloomed such a
nicely formed flower, I couldn't understand how I could have overlooked
it. Pretty obvious now.

#3 was also too frost damaged to bloom, but foliage is only somewhat
susceptible to freeze damage. The blooming fan rotted out.

#4 this one chose to stop growing over the winter. The stalk was nice
and tall, big beautiful blooms & the foliage doesn't seem particularly
freeze sensitive. The blooming fan has rotted out, but the rest seems
very healthy and has started to grow.

Just by chance, these seedlings show a pretty good cross section of the
range of winter behavior here. The only thing missing is a seedling
that has <both> foliage <and> bloom stalk resistant to freezing. The
RED ROCK CANYON seedling is closest, but I wonder if any of those stubby
little increases will manage to bloom this spring.

Majority of "CA" crosses here wind up with lots of foliar spot after
being frosted. More susceptible to diseases, I assume, not direct
result of freeze damage.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7

JPEG image