Re: Re: TB 'Horned Amethyst' ? (and Momentous Occasion)
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: TB 'Horned Amethyst' ? (and Momentous Occasion)
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@speednetllc.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:39:57 -0400

Yes, indeed! I can see why you like Lloyd's descriptions ... very informative, and beautiful!

thanks for posting this~

Adam~

On Mar 17, 2012, at 10:54 PM, richter@eecs.berkeley.edu wrote:

Here's a picture of Momentous Occasion (somewhat battered by the rain).

I looked through my Austin catalogs, and apparently he never put a picture
of Horned Amethyst into a catalog for some reason. Here's a catalog

HORNED AMETHYST (Austin '60) M-36" One of the most consistent of all
horned Iris in producing striking long horns, usually 1" to 1 1/2" long,
sometimes lightly spooned. A self in scintillating amethyst, of very novel
form, with the falls somewhat rolled in from the sides. Pollen variable; a
good seed setter. If crossed with a Flamingo Pink may well yield a
Tangerine-Bearded horned Iris. [JS-M-176B x 638) X Pink Tower].

I love Lloyd Austin's catalog descriptions :-)

Jean
SF bay area zone 9
where it's actually stopped raining

<Momentous-Occasion-small.jpg>