AB: another seedling
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: AB: another seedling
  • From: Donald Eaves <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:09:01 -0500

This seedling is the pod parent of that pot of late germinating seeds I
posted earlier this week. The wind knocked it over as you can see by
the tilted background here. It's pretty showy and this is the first
time it's toppled over from the wind. I really don't understand how
some things work. This is a cross of (Lights of Arabia x Desert
Embroidery) X Energizer. There are nine siblings growing. They all are
growing strongly at this point. This is the third year of bloom for
most of them, including this one. But they are about twice as tall as
any of the ancestors listed, including the seedling pod parent. That is
occurring among my seedlings a lot. How does that happen? I generally
do want taller stalks, but doubling the height seems a bit beyond what
I'd expect. When I use a really short plant as one or both parents, I
do tend to get smaller results or a mix of both. When I use ABs of
medium height, they tend to be taller. Those same parents are growing
here in the same climate and conditions and never make those heights. I
measured those of this cross today that were blooming and they ranged
from 28" to 37". Things are somewhat taller this year, but that's tall
compared to the ancestors involved that I've seen bloom. I wonder why.

An interesting feature of this particular bloom is the color on the
standards. It's basically a bright yellow, but the midrib is white and
it has a white edge. Something a big different from anything I've seen.

Donald Eaves
donald@txol.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image