ADMIN: Love Bug Virus

Normally the policy of iris-talk, as expressed in the Welcome Message
and where ever iris-talk policies are posted, is that virus warnings are
not to be posted to the list. The reason for this is two fold: First:
The majority of the warnings that are posted (by caring but victimized
individuals) are actually hoaxes and not viruses at all. Second: Most of
the problems of viruses can be avoided by *not* opening attachments to
email unless you know for certain that the person sending it actually
intended to send you something. We have talked about this before.

In this case the "Love Bug" virus is new, highly contagious, takes a bit
of time and concentration to delete, and will destroy graphics files on
your system that have one of several file extensions.

Because of the severity and because most of the anti-virus sites are
overloaded today, I have posted a set of downloadable instructions on
how to rid yourself of this virus should you be so unfortunate as to
have opened an unexpected attachment. Go to:

and an Acrobat PDF file containing the instructions will be downloaded
to your system. If you need a copy of Acrobat reader, you can download
one from the Adobe site:

Please no more posts to the list.

If you have any questions please email me directly at jijones@ix.netcom.com

If you ever suspect a virus is making its way around, please send me the
information privately.

My thanks to Dell for sending me the "fix-it" instuctions.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society