Re: to be or not to be

--- In iris-photos@egroups.com, "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@h...>
> Ok, here is a subject that is very controversial: haft veining.
> I know some of the old-time hybridizers have worked long and hard
remove them from the flower, and now prefer clean color throughout
haft area.
> However, I feel many have lost sight of the fact that haft veining
can add distinction and a gradual color separation to a flower in
certain cases.
> In this case, I feel the flower would loose something if those haft
veins were not there.  The veining adds to the flower in my opinion.
See for yourself in the attached picture.  I have colored in the haft
area and do not think it is as nice looking a flower as the one with
> IMHO, I love the flower as is.  It is the  "The branching is tight.
 Buds are adequate to good." part that bothers me.  Don't we want
introductions that have better branching with buds that are above
"good," rather than another pretty flower?
> Patrick Orr
> Phoenix, AZ  USA
> Zone 9
> I can just hear Mike now getting ready to pick apart any future
seedlings I might possibly introduce...lol
However I would not recommend introduction because of the haft
veining. There were several earlier blue amoena "to be or not to be"
photos that I thought were much better.
>   I did receive your catalog today.
flower.  The branching is tight.  Buds are adequate to good.  What do
you all think of it?  Should it be intro'd or not?
>     Thanks
>     Mike

I have to agree with your point. A feature should be judged on its
overall effect on the flower "impression" rather then if its a good
thing or bad thing in isolation. What may help on flower look goodmay
make another flower look bad.

Make good on the promises you made when you signed your friends'
yearbooks. Classmates.com has 6 million registered High School
Alumni, so chances are you'll find your friends here: