[PHOTO] Local I. Aphylla, side view | Sun, 28 May 2000 22:51:55" />

[PHOTO] Local I. Aphylla, side view

This is another view of the local I. Aphylla I sent in yesterday.
It was taken the same day.

The color in this photo is not accurate. It is too blue. The color
in the previous photo I submitted of this Iris is also inaccurate.
The color when I looked at this clump with just my eyes today is
more of a dark purple.

This is my first experience with a digital camera. This camera
(Epson 650) has a ways to go to be as accurate for color as film.
But it would probably take me a month to come up with a jpg.
image from a film camera. Instead I can use a digital photo the
same day.

One thing I noticed today was that from a side view of this I.
Aphylla clump, as seen from across a yard or garden, these old
fashioned droopy dog-eared petaled flowers show more color
and less fans than the more modern hybrids whose falls are held
straight out without drooping, and with shorter standards. The
more modern forms seem designed to be viewed from
above to see the maximum amount of their color.

I like some of the more modern flower forms as well, but I
probably spend more time looking at clumps of flowers from
side views than from overhead.

The small yellow ladyslippers in the foreground are a common
local wild orchid. They like the same conditions, afternoon
shade, as I. Aphylla, and will stay for years in the same
location with little attention. Many local wildflowers adapt
well to gardens and are generally less effort to grow than
brought in plants.

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario
dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca

Remember the good 'ol days