Re: HIST: TB: Merrily Smith's Orphan yellow

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HIST: TB: Merrily Smith's Orphan yellow
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:38:32 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
It could be any one of the following:"

Thanks for posting the narrative, Linda.  Just for fun, I am
reproducing your list with the ones I grew or knew personally deleted-
-your yellow MAY be one of the remainders.  Most of them are the
wrong color for your yellow, however.  These are the ones I DON'T
know first hand:

> Patrician Nesmith for H. F. Hall '53 White, overlay of yellow on
fall, yel. bd.
> Apricot Dancer Luella Noyd '58 Orange-apricot self, tang. bd.
> Frilly Fringes Bro. Chas. Rekamp '56 CREAM WITH LIGHT YELLOW HAFT
> Persia--not listed 1940 ff.  May be pre '40
> Lovely Letty D. Hall '64 Violet-blue self, tangerine bd.
> Theodolina --before 1940--check HIPS photos.  Seems to me I saw it
there.
> Broadway Star R. Schreiner R '57, S. cream/F. rose-magenta
> Quicksilver R. Schreiner, R '50, pale silver blue
> Dark Mood Buss R '49 Dark red-purple self from Sable
> Masked Ball Buss R'49 "W2D"--blue on white plicata
> Hiawatha Hartkopf R'64, Garnet-brown self
> Wild Ginger Gibson '60, plicata

which of the above is it?

The only possible candidate I see in the list is FRILLY FRINGES.
Looks possible from the form, character of the bloom.  It
isn't "Frilly" by current standards, but is in keeping with its time.

Neil Mogensen  zone 7a near Asheville, NC