Re: Born in the USA

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Born in the USA
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:44:38 -0700

According the "The Guide to Species Irises Their
Identification and Culture" edited by the Species Group
of the British Iris Society, "An unmistakeable difference
is the extremely short (0.2 cm or less) [of I. lacustris]". It
says that I. cristata has a 4 to 8 cm perianth tube. So if
you can see down to the ovary, the flower of I. lacustris
should be sitting on it while the flower of I. cristata should
be 1 1/2 to 3 inches above the ovary.

It also has a different number of chromosomes, but I
think you need some skill in biology and microscope
work to figure that out.

   Ken Walker
   Concord, CA USA
   USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14