Moraea polystachya

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Moraea polystachya
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:52:44 +1000

Paul, that is a lovely iris! What are the growing requirments? I'm totally
        unfamiliar this this family.

The Moraeas are generally small bulbs (although a friend sent me a couple
of a variety that have quite large bulbs).  Moraea polystachya is a little
different in that it starts flowering now and can flower for quite a lot of
winter.  Usually only one or two flowers out at once that last for only a
few days each, but a lot of flowers over time.  They all like pretty good
drainage and some people swear they grow better in pots while others say
they grow beter in the ground.  It really depends on the conditions.

They are generaly a plant and forget type of bulb, wanting relatively dry
in summer (although not that necessary for some species) with watering
during their growth season.  A bit like a Dutch Iris really.  The flower in
the photo is around 2 inches in diameter.

I think the Moraeas really do extend the iris family in that they can be
much more dainty and delicate than a lot of the irises.  I have quite a few
species and as they flower I'll photograph and send to the list as it seems
people are interested.  Over time you'll see how intricate some of them
are, as well as seeing what season they are flowering for me here in Canberra.

Some Moraeas are short lived flowers.  Last season the only flower I
actually caught on one species was the last flower on the stem.  Each
afternoon I'd find that the flower had opened after I left in the morning
and was finished by the time I got home from work.  I happened to catch it
on a Saturday.  I hope to photograph it this year as it was quite stunning.

Moraeas vary in size from around 1cm in diameter to around 4-5 inches.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!

P.S.  Please note the change in my email address.