Re: Another Mystery Iris?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Another Mystery Iris?
  • From: laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:22:25 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" <clc@c...> wrote:
> Caliente- deep wine red, bright gold beard, very vigorous, tall
> Spanish Leather- rose/copper/henna/maroon blend, gold on hafts, gold
brds
> Struttin' High- orange brown, big orange red beards, large flowers

Eliminating SPICED HONEY at Randy's certainty and assuming these are
the only other three cultivars your iris could be, my guess is SPANISH
LEATHER.  Sutton's describes STRUTTIN' HIGH as a ruffled grey orange
with tangerine beards.

The 1989 Check List describes SPANISH LEATHER as, "Lightly ruffled
rose, copper, henna and maroon blend with golden dappling highlighting
shoulders and broad hafts; old gold blended beard."

Laurie