Storing rhizomes?

Is it possible to store rhizomes? It's just become possible that we'll be moving cross-country later this summer, and I'd hate to leave my new order planted in a garden here. My order won't be ready until late July, or early August.

I could pot them as well.. but it would be easier for transport to have them bagged and/or boxed, I think.
Anyone know if they'll be alright this way? How long, if at all, can they take being out of the ground? How late is too late to plant in the Batlimore/DC area?
Thanks for advice to this Iris newbie!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Establish yourself online! Get a domain for your web site!
www. .com