[PHOTO] Culture: Container Iris Gardening - ( IrisLady ) | Fri, 10 May 2002 20:06:10" />

[PHOTO] Culture: Container Iris Gardening - ( IrisLady )

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Culture: Container Iris Gardening - ( IrisLady )
  • From: Martin Foley <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:31:27 -0700 (PDT)

What a spring southeast Michigan is having, will the temperatures ever warm up? Sun came out yesterday afternoon and should be around until Saturday afternoon... and so did the containers which were in the garage. Since yesterday afternoon we have had a constant 30mph wind, with occasional gusts. And get this, there is a frost warning tonight... May 10th.... the containers are now back in the garage. Then Sunday thru Tuesday should have intermittant rain.

Nothing much happening in the iris garden this morning so took the opportunity to drive up to the Van Heusden iris farm 50 miles north of here. Those of you who attended the National may remember John and Marie Van Heusden as Marie won a raffle for an unbelievably fantastic hand sculptured vase...... Marie says shes going to have to redo the house to accomodate the vase.

Anyway, John and I talked about several irises growing at his place which was a stop on the 1997 National and John graciously gave me a huge clump of Serenity Prayer (mdb), and the sdb Broad Grin, see attached photos as both those irises have arrived at their new home safely.

What a surprise, Serenity Prayer's pollen was ready for hybridizing this afternoon. Crossed James Bond x Serenity Prayer, and (sdb) seedling Y2K-7 (Azure Wings x Dot Com) x Serenity Prayer. Additionally made the following crosses this afternoon Lime Double Dwarf (sdb) x Pink Smash (sdb), Lemon Curd (sdb) x El Torito (sdb), and Trajectory (sdb) x (mdb) seedling Y2K-4 (Libation x Hint). Not until today did I ever think of the garage as a wind shelter, all the crosses were made in the garage as I didn't want to take any chances with the constant 30mph winds.

You're right, the irises are just like pets!

Martin Foley - VP Southeast Michigan Iris Club

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Height:   4 5 6 7  ft 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in
Sex:   F M