Re: Iris in full shade

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris in full shade
  • From: "tan0301" <tan0301@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:48:51 -0000

I have an old purple iris and a yellow one.  They will grow anywhere
under any conditions.  They are great.  The yellow one isn't the
prettiest thing I have ever seen, but boy oh boy, talk about blooms.
The poor little things just about bloom themselves to death.

Tell your son it is rescuing... And it is my favorite passtime.
Hubby has gotten in to hyberdizing and showing Iris so he won't let
me rescue to many unless they have their names attached! ;o)  So I
have moved on to rescuing hostas from an old house on a dirt road out
in the middle of nowhere.  Actually, I do have permission from the
owner.  It belonged to his great-grandmother and she had a greenhouse
and everything.  Flowers are EVERYWHERE.  I bet there was 500 or more
siberian iris blooming there last week.

--- In iris-photos@y..., oneofcultivars@a... wrote:
> Nice big show with Lacy Snowflake. I too have some older
unidentified iris.
> I collected   one while riding horses from a long abandoned house
> over by 40 year old timber (full shade). I called myself rescuing
it. My son
> riding with me called it stealing. It still grows here. If I had a
horse now
> I'd ride back and see if it's still growing there. I could tell if
me or my
> son was right. Anyone got a horse?
> The older iris I grow are more adaptable than some of the later
> introductions. That may be due to the sources from which I obtained
> oldies, the natural selection process, their closeness genetically
to the
> species etc. Probably some of all. Sun, shade, insects, crowding,
> neglect, rot are not much of a problem for them. I would not,
however, trade
> away the more modern blooms to rid myself of these miseries. I
think I'll
> just try having my cake and eatin' all I can hold.
> Smiles,
> Bill 7a/b
> Old South Iris Society

Your opinion is very important to us!