Re: photo size

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: photo size
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:55:39 -0400

John, just to make you aware, sometimes it's hard to do something that
seems like it ought to be simple.  I think I have finally figured out
how to do my photos (?), but it requires using two different software
pkgs that came with different hardware (scanner & camera).  Both are
abbreviated versions of software & neither indicates photo size (i.e.,
3X3), or DPI.  Nor do they indicate file size.

However, one of the software packages (Adobe ActiveShare) has something
called 'web ready jpg' as one of its 'save file as' features which
yields files that fit on the monitor screen.  This also does some
compression, but usually the files are still a little large (slow).

I have to use a different software (either Photoimpressions or Photomax)
for editing  and compression of bytes.  I can't tell ahead of time
exactly what size the file will be, but if it goes in as a <web ready
jpg>, I can save it as 60 to 80 (%? bytes? kilo, giga or some unknown
unit) and get a good image that is only about 35 Kb (is that the right
unit?) and fits on the screen.

So it isn't always that simple for those of us without decent

Also, a tip for those who aren't sure what the file will look like on a
monitor once it's posted - open your web browser, click on 'open' 'file'
and then browse to your photo jpg file.  Open it and it will display on
your browser the same way it will look when sent as email.  At least it
does in Netscape.  Or mail it to yourself first.

John Jones said:
<A good picture size would be around 3X3. But remember that  virtually
all computer monitors display at 72 DPI (Dots Per Inch) and anything
above that just makes the picture bigger on the screen. Also setting
your jpeg compression for smaller files will help.>

Linda Mann Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
front doors, drawers, briefcases,
padlocks, and more. On sale now!