Re: Lminata -- Genesis Project

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Lminata -- Genesis Project
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 01:45:29 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., John I Jones <jijones@u...> wrote:
> I remember all the genetics discussion about luminatas previously,
but I
> have to say that this certainly does not match the visual image of a
> "luminous interior" that I take from the discription by the working
> group back in the 70's (?).
>
> It would seem to me that if we are to use a term to describe the
visual
> effect of the flower, then the lay public ought to be able to
perceive
> that a particular flower fits that description.
>
> John
>
> irischapman@n... wrote:
> >
> > Here is a photo of SDB Genesis Project, an introduction for this
year.
> > I'm claiming this to be an luminata. No anthocyanin in center of
> > flower of beard, and anthocyanin washed over center of falls. The
> > detail closeup shows the top of the fall & beard. A yellow ground
with
> > violet anthocyanin wash which changes to burgandy-violet when
> > overlaying yellow.
> >
> > --
> > Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Zone 4/5

A valid point John and one that I have discussed with Paul Black and
Keith Keppel. One of the  primary parts of the definition is the
absence of anthocyanin in the beard and bottom part of standards and
falls. Genisis Project fits this. Keith wanted to see it in bloom
before saying definatly if it was a luminata as he was wondering if
there was some residual anthocyanin giving the darker yellow its
shading. I havn't heard back fronm him on this yet. The original
luminatas were on white ground, this one is on yellow ground. The
same way we have pink and yellow glaciatas and not just white
glaciatas.  I'm arguing for genotype as being the decisive factor and
have an ambitious research project underway  to corelate genotype
with phenotype with plicatas. Anyone interest in preliminary
results/theories feel free to contact me offlist.
This is similar to the old lumpers versus spliters in species
definition. If we name every nuance of shade, background colour etc,
we will soon be up to our ears in colour names.

Chuck Chapman

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.