Re: SPEC: I. korolkowii

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPEC: I. korolkowii
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:41:38 -0700

Bill,

To reassure yourself that I. korolkowii is indeed adaptable, you might want
to check your map for Newport, WA.... right on the Idaho border about 60
miles south of Canada. :-)

Last winter was pretty warm since we only dropped to -12 but we've had some
nasty temperature swings this spring. Up to the 70s then down to 18 degrees
and back into the 50s with sun, rain, snow, sleet, and a bit of wind just to
keep things interesting.

I have the outside chunk of korolkowii planted in extremely poor soil
mounded up a bit to shed water. Other than that, it's had no special care.
Stonlonifera however, planted along side of it, bit the dust. The only
remaining starts of that one are happily sitting in a pot in the greenhouse.

One side note on korolkowii... the leaves turn the most beautiful shade of
purple in reaction to cold. :-)

Christy
Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN