Re: TB Waterworld (Bill)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB Waterworld (Bill)
  • From: "Harold" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 07:49:14 -0700

Suttons carries both cultivars. Mike Sutton agrees with me on Destry Rides
Again. Another iris I put in the ugly class is Jungle Shadows. It was
blooming profusely at one of the Region 14 spring conventions. I heard an
experienced irisarian laugh as he walked up to it. His comment was "This is
so ugly I have to have a piece of it.". When my customers say that there are
no ugly irises, I tell them about the two ugly one that I got rid of. Dick
Gibson is the hybridizer of Destry. He and I were the co-editors of the
Region 14 Bulletin and became friends in the process. Dick was also in the
Sacramento area. When Dick died, I was the one that dug his irises for the
sales that Brooksie donated the rhizomes to. I tried to leave Destry but
Brooksie wanted it gone. I brought it home with me but immediately put the
50+ rhizomes in the the burn pile. I was not about to try to get the public
interested in irises by selling them one virtually everyone considered ugly.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762