Re: CULT: Squirrels

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: Squirrels
  • From: "Francesca R. Thoolen" irisgirl@attbi.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:23:14 -0700

Mike, I have squirrel problems at certain times of the year. I was advised to use Cayenne Pepper around the plants and that did nothing. I went to Costco and purchased some hot pepper flakes and scattered around each plant. That worked. You may want to consider trying this and see if this helps in your garden. I think the Cayenne pepper was too fine and washed away with the rain into the soil. The hot pepper flakes stayed at ground level and they have to walk on them to get to the plants and then they don't like the stinging they get from the oils in the flakes. The flakes don't wash away immediately and so the squirrels seem to remember. I will know this fall if this needs to be repeated but so far so good. Hope it helps. The clematis you sent is growing like mad but the lighter markings on the leaves seem to have disappeared. No matter I look forward to its bloom either later in the season or next year. Thank you again.

Francesca