Re: CINNAMON STICK

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CINNAMON STICK
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 02:29:33 -0000

> Up here in Idaho Zone 5 nothing eats
> my 35 spuria varieties, the foliage never dies back, and
> they bloom their heads off by the 2nd year. I even get
> 10% bloom on new plantings. These iris are so foolproof
> that I am reclaiming more and more lawn area to them.

Lucky, lucky.  The insects love mine.  Not only the ones that eat
them, either.  Blooms are usually being swarmed by wasps and yellow
jackets.  I don't know what they find there.  They don't damage the
blooms or bother me.  Guess they think I'm after the same thing they
are.  Mine go dormant after bloom.  Most disappear completely and
then return each fall.  The clumps are gradually getting larger and
some look good now.  But even some of the buds have holes eaten in
them.  They do appear to be durable plants in a difficult spot.  Our
excessive heat and wind take their toll on the bloom usually.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/2gGylB/TM