Re: for Christopher Darlington

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: for Christopher Darlington
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:26:59 -0000

Chris,

> Assuming that Scotch Gold is a
> 1/2 bred

Yes, an OGB.

> then I assume your seedlings are probably infertile 1/4
> breds or 1/2 breds.

Should be and surely are 1/4 or OGB- types with the resulting
fertility problems.  A similar sibling with the same general form and
growth habits set two pods via SHEIK.  Assuming I grow the pods to
maturity and obtain seeds, the germination may be poor or non-
existent.  But it has and can happen.  I have, to my complete
amazement, three pods on NINEVEH via SHEIK.  N is classified as an OB-
 if my memory hasn't failed.  I'm not where I can check right now.  I
plan to post a photo of N in a day or so.

> I'm planning my first AB order right now, I look forwand to making
> crosses with them next year if they survive.  I'm going to get to
> work on the beds ASAP.  Are you doing anything special to your soil
> for the AB's besides good drainage ?

I'm glad to hear you are doing this.  I hope you are successful.  All
my beds are special :).  I start throwing whatever in them and then
plant.  I doubt any two are the same, though some are more similar
than others.  Some would be completely different in soil makeup.  But
I haven't found anything yet that directs me on what works better
than anything else.  They range from basically unaltered soil to
highly organic compositions.  I can't tell one has been better than
another in terms of survival.  They resist going dormant in the more
moisture retentive organic soil much longer than the poorer soils.
Other than that, they survive and bloom about the same.  They got
more than 8" of rain last summer when it was hot, hot, hot and they
were completely dormant for the most part.  They all survived.  I
don't know.  It sure got soggy with my natural red clay base, but in
general my soil does drain pretty well.  Not many low spots.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

> Chris