[PHOTO] Re: iris work | Mon, 12 May 2003 21:31:48" />

[PHOTO] Re: iris work

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: iris work
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:29:56 -0500

Chris,

No need to wait for this one to be complete.  I've been at this for a while.
The posts are 6" X 8' treated logs.  Not on hand naturally and not cheap.
The muscle gets pretty tired.  One photo is a side view of part of the run,
complete with pink flamingo.  The posts are buried at 8" minimum unless I'm
having to jump rock I can't dig out.  In my hard clay, they aren't moving
much.  The photo does not accurately depict how steep the slope is.  This
can be seen better in the  photo with the pink flamingo in the foreground.
Essentially, the gully runs along side the yard side of the posts and then
crossed under the barb wire fence.  The end across the gully was set in an
inverted V with the end open to catch the water runoff.  I hope to have a
Siberian bed there someday.  At the edge of the gully is the first of four
completed sections, each about 20' long.  The new addition will be about 40'
or more because it reached the top of the hill where the slope is not very
steep.  I have completed another, longer series on the other side of the
yard.  These are working well - raised beds, armadillo barriers (they dig
but seldom climb) and water run-off control as terraces and dams.  I need
more muscle!

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA