PHOTOS: Resizing

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTOS: Resizing
  • From: Mickey Corley mcorley@compuserve.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:59:54 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
One more time.  How do you all get your photos down to under 100 kb without
any distortion?

One more time.  How do you all get your photos down to under 100 kb without
any distortion?

Whether using a scanner or a digital camera or a CD, I open the photograph
with a photo/image editing program.   My original image is usually a .bmp
or .jpeg large image because most of them I may want to print someday.  I
save the original as another file (ie, renamed or in a different folder).
Then I use the editing program to resize the saved image (I can not find
this feature in the photo viewing program that came on my computer).  The
original may be even larger than a 8 1/2 by 11 page.  The number of pixels
the image was scanned/taken seems to have a direct bearing on the actual
size of the image.  I don't have to crop this way and have the same picture
with no distortion.  If you set your digital camera or scanner at a low
pixel rate (resolution) you probably will not need to do this.  I found
thought that if I was taken something other than a closeup of a flower, I
needed to take it at a higher resolution or I didn't have a good image even
on the computer screen.

I ran into this when I was trying to use an image of my entire flower bed
as wallpaper and also to send as an attachment.  The original (which I use
as wallpaper) is 178 kb.  I resized it and the image I used as an
attachment was only 59 kb.

Now, I'm like you, Jean, just learning so if I haven't explained this so
you can understand, let me know (off-list)

Mickey Corley
Bethany, OK - Center of Oklahoma
Zone 5/6
Where the stormy weather has stopped for a few days