Re: help - unknown bronze?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: help - unknown bronze?
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:29:45 -0400

On May 14, I posted a photo of one of my toughest, most reliable, very
late blooming unknowns, wondering if it might be CAROLINA HONEY.

I didn't get any nibbles, so thought I'd try again.  It came from a lady
in her 80s in east Tennessee who has ordered collections almost
exclusively from Schreiners over several decades, tho none in recent
years.  She throws away the labels, digs and sells out of her garden by
the side of the road.

My guess is that this one is from a collection sold in the 80s, although
it might be earlier.  I have several Schreiners catalogs from the 80s, &
had thought it might be RUSTIC CEDAR.  However, RC bloomed this year and
it is clearly not RC.

This unknown has a distinctly red/pink/orchid flush (something more
purple than yellow or brown) in the standards than RC or most other
bronze irises whose photos I've seen.

CAROLINA HONEY is perhaps from the right era, and was sold in Schriener
collections, so that was my next best guess, but I can't tell from the
photo whether or not it has that pink/purple cast to the standards.

I have some fairly ugly children from it and CELEBRATION SONG - one
light pink self, one deep pink & rose bicolor (nice & bright).  I doubt
I'll make any crosses with it (flowers too small & stems too weak), but
would like to get a name on the mama.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Get A Free Psychic Reading!